Wednesday, September 12, 2012

DIY Adventures: Headboard Edition

Ever since I moved into my new place I have intended to buy/make a headboard.  The one I had my eye on from Restoration Hardware was a little pricey, but I figured I could recreate it with the help of the www & an engineer.

Even G’s drunken drawings look fancy ;)



After about 7 months of putting it off, I decided it was finally time to make myself a proper bed.  I recruited my friend, G, and with her awesome engineering skills & power tools we got to work.  I knew the crescent shaped edges would be too difficult to try and mess with, so i just went with a straight edge to keep it easy.  After about 7 hrs of work in alternating hot sun & wind, we finally finished.  I imagine there are a few leaves stuffed in the batting, but I figure it just adds…character?  And a little texture.   Behold, the before and after.
Before



After

Although the nail head trim was a pain to get straight, despite meticulous measuring and marking on our part, we were still very pleased with the results!  It’s one of those hard to tell unless you’re examining up close kind of situations.  And it photographs pretty well, too.  All in all I spent about $150, which is like 1/25 of the total price of the RH one.  So, I’d say it was a success.  Thanks to G for her time, precision and patience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment